Home School for your Children's Future!
Helping you create a home school curriculum that is tailored to your children's learning styles is the purpose of my site. With 30 years in education, my strengths lie in
- reading strategies
- writing and editing,
- literature, and an
- educational support blog for parents of teenagers.
This site offers mostly free or economical materials that will help develop your children's intellectual, social, emotional, and psychological strengths and builds on them to ultimately create happy, successful adults Therefore, creating a suitable home school curriculum is only the first step.
The second is identifying your child's multiple intelligence and nurturing these strengths.
Being Organized Brings Success
In some ways I hate seeing videos like this because I always fall short. On the other hand, I need to see successful homeschooling families like this because they encourage me to find ways to be a bit more effective with my own family. I'd say this family is pretty solid. They have my greatest respect.
"A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
― Albert Einstein
Secular or Christian Home School?
This is a secular home school website, which contains numerous free links to home school books, worksheets, and writing and literature assignments.
While I am a Christian and believe that a religious education is vital, after having chosen a Christian curriculum the first year my sons were homeschooled, I felt that the repetitive, religious worksheets were too much.
That said, I have been looking for a quality Biblical education, and I believe that I have found it in Grapevine Studies, so I have become an affiliate member with them.
Click on the link to the right and download a free lesson plan.
I viewed the high school pages and found the questions to be thorough and sufficiently in depth.
Additionally, I think the way the lessons are formatted will reinforce their reading comprehension.
I took survey courses in the Old and New Testament in college and have attended summer-long interdenominational institutes when I was in college, all of which I believed have been very beneficial to my spiritual life.
Home School: So My Goals For You Are To-
Subscribe To My Blog
While every child is unique, many of their experiences in homeschooling or in the publics are not. If you have not yet begun to homeschool or want to stay on top of the latest homeschool issues, click on the RSS button to the left. What is your situation right now? To read one of my recent articles on Socratic thinking and the Snowden saga.
Whatever your needs, taking control of your child's education can solve these problems for you. As a caution, however, please read this blog about my Seven Tips to Keep Your Home School Adventure hassle free.
"How Do I Begin?"- Step by Step
- Review my grade level pages to learn the basic courses needed for your child's grade level.
- Search for as much free material as possible. (My website has linked many of those pages.); next,
- Buy folders, paper, and other organizing materials and create lesson plans.
Homeschooling requires a lot of thinking; fortunately, that can be done while you're driving, cooking dinner, or cleaning the pool, but you begin by building a dream of what you want for your children as
they become adults.
For example, when I was younger, I read The
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, and as I grew older I
began to think about Huck. He was independent, loved freedom,and was self-reliant, followed his own conscience, and drew his own
conclusions about people in the world. And yes, Huck was usually happy.
If you would like to learn more about why having your own mission and vision statements are important, and use the handy mission statement template I've created,
By the way, see that guy above working on his laptop at the beach?
When you home school, you can help your children discover their gifts and talents, and when that happens-
They will never work a day in their lives.
Photo taken by Diana Boles
So Who Am I? - Credentials and Experience
My name is Diana Boles, and I am a home schooler too. I also was a high school English teacher for 25 years. Before that, I taught at a private business school, a community college, and a university in Juarez, Mexico. I want you to feel confident that I've been there and done that.
My bachelor's is in journalism, and later I earned teaching certificates in English, Reading, and English as a Second Language. I completed 30 of 36 hours for a master's in creative writing, but never completed the program because I "couldn't find my voice," as they say in the industry.
I also have a Master's in educational administration. I thought about going into administration, but that is a demanding job with long hours. My three sons, however, were about to become teenagers (I had my first son when I was 38.), so I decided to retire and homeschool them.
I've always thought that teenagers need more guidance and supervision than they presently receive in our society.
So here we are together-- correcting writing, solving math problems, conducting science experiments in the kitchen, gardening in the backyard, classifying animals on our nature walks, and discussing literature while sitting at the beach. Yes, we study at the beach!
- Holiday Curriculum Helps Energize Homeschooling
- Supplementing your homeschool activities with holiday curriculum helps students appreciate holiday traditions from around the world.
- Multiple Intelligences Your child possesses
- Discover your child's multiple intelligences and learn how to develop these strengths.
- Reading Comprehension is What It's All About
- This page helps parents improve their child's reading comprehension with study guides and books at the correct lexile levels.
- Knowing Literary Terms Enhances Your Child's Reading
- This page explains the importance of literary terms in developing your child's reading comprehension.
- Writing Curriculum Improves Your Child's Thinking
- This writing curriculum page provides free tips, editing support, and explains why it is so important.
- Five-Paragraph Essay writing is a pizza pie!
- Parents, follow these steps to understand the basic five-paragraph essay that all writing students need to communicate well?
- A Good Homeschool Writing Curriculum Includes The Research Paper
- This homeschool writing curriculum page gives parents step-by-step support, so they can help their children write their research papers.
- Curriculum Decisions to Make
- Curriculum quality can be obtained for free in a good home schooling plan with just a little bit of work.
- High School courses for Your Teenage Genius
- A quality, free high school curriculum is available with just a few clicks, a printer, paper, and some ink.
- Freshman curriculum choices
- This freshman curriculum page helps parents choose the correct courses for a ninth grader.
- Sophomore English Curriculum
- This sophomore English curriculum helps parents find free sources of literature, vocabulary, grammar and writing with a free editing service.
- Junior English Curriculum is American Literature
- This page give extensive details about the junior English curriculum and the literature that represents America's ideals, hopes, and dreams.
- Computer Science Curriculum
- Parents, color outside the box and introduce your children to computer science curriculum TODAY!
- Learning to Think Critically Brings Happiness, Wealth, and Wisdom
- Parents, when your children learn to think critically, they will find peace,happiness, and live in wisdom that fools never experience. This is an important part of their education.
- Identifying Fallacious Thinking Errors Sharpens The Mind
- Teaching your children fallacious thinking errors will help them make logical choices.
- Advertising Propaganda is Like Savoir Faire --It's Everywhere
- Advertising propaganda is absolutely everywhere in our society; this page can help you train your children how to spot it and stop it from lying to them.
- Socratic Thinking Applied to Snowden
- This is the Socratic thinking method applied to the Snowden saga, whistleblower or traitor.
- A Candid Government Curriculum Creates Informed Citizens
- This government curriculum page will teach the ideology and reality of what the U.S. government does.
- Economics: Micro, Macro, and Mises, Oh My!
- Which theory of economics will you teach your teenager? Here is a description of the most prevalent ones.
- High School English Curriculum
- Here is a free and intelligent high school English curriculum guide that includes creative and alternative materials for your teenager with a bit of a traditional spllash for perfect harmony.
- Teaching strategies improve learning
- Parents will learn a variety of free teaching strategies that will help their children understand concepts and ideas quickly.
- Education news or Why We Home School
- Exhausted? Read the latest education news if you ever question whether the publics are really that BAD? Here is the latest in stupid stuff schools do to try to ruin your kids!
- Common core curriculum --Good or Bad?
- This common core page offers comments and opinions on the latest common core roll out.
- A mission statement is your lantern in the darkness
- This page explains why a mission statement is important and helps you write your own.
- Contact Page
- Parents, this contact page will show you how to keep up with my latest blogs, pages, and tweets.
Back to Top